Tuesday 11 December 2012

A Norfolk exotic adventure PART ONE....

 
 

A Norfolk exotic adventure PART ONE EAST RUSHTON OLD VICARAGE

 
 
I seems like for ever-ago but it was only four months ago that I was sunning myself in Norfolk surrounded by a whole host of exotic plants.  I visited many places:  Amulree and Urban Jungle exotic nurseries, Will Giles Exotic Garden, NGS open garden owned by Kevin Scales and East Rushton Old Vicarage.  The latter of which I will talk about in this blog.  The previous will be blogged about soon....
 
 
 
I had been told that East Rushton was a bit of a hidden gem and a must-see place if one is interested in "unusual" and "exotic" plants.  As I am always interested in seeing any gardens, especially those that are exotic I couldn't resist. I wasn't alone on my journey through Norfolk, having my pregnant wife and two little girls with me.  Every time we visit a garden I say to them, "Our garden will be like this one day" they smile and say will it have a trampoline too?  There were no trampolines at the Old Vicarage but plenty of space to play in and lots of exotics for me to get excited about.
 
At the start of the garden is a very interesting plant sales area with many choice plants at fair prices.  I resisted having spent up at the tropical nurseries...  Tropical and exotic plants were everywhere including these wonderful Brugmansias which had a lovely perfume and sun-yellow colour on the flowers.
 
 

There are many brick walls at the Old Vicarage which retain a lot of heat and provide some protection from the elements.  In one of the first areas that one comes across is this mixture of arid and prairie planting.  Chamaerops humilis palms, Aeoniums amd Eucomis were the highlights of this section for me.  All interplanted with various silver-leaved plants ideally suited to the hot dry conditions.

Towering Miscanthus finished the ensemble.

 
Next onto a shadier, more intimate spot with towering Trachcarpus fortunei underplanted with shade-loving plants
 
 
A sunny spot next before heading on past the Dicksonia antartica tree ferns. 


In the same spot as above but facing the opposite way was a large Tetrapanax papyrifer which was easily 10ft tall.  The Inula daisies were also large, standing at around 6ft.

 
As well as the brick walls there were dozens and dozens of Eucalyptus trees planted around the garden, almost certainly to add a degree of protection to the plants below and to act as a wind break.
 
 
 Now on to what I think is the best part of the garden and probably one of favourite areas of planting I've ever visited; the "Desert Wash"  A huge amount of labour must have been employed to move tonnes of rock, flints and boulders to create a wonderful arid garden that I could only dream about creating "Up North"  Notice the clear blue skies (yes this was 2012!)
 
 
 
 
The hardy structural elements of this area consist of Yuccas, Nolinias, Agaves and Dasylirions.  These are softened with grasses, Euphorbias and vivid orange Californian poppies.
 
 
 

Nolinas

 
 
 
 
 
 

Agaves

 
 
 

Dasylirion

 
 
 

Various Yuccas

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Even some hardy cacti!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Colletia cruciata a spiky shrub that I had never seen before.
 
 
 
Even the none exotic areas of the Old Vicarage like the kitchen garden had some tropicals interplanted.  Can you see them? 
 
How about now?!
 
 
 
Finally an avenue of Trachcarpus fortunei leading onto a wonderful view of a lighthouse.
 
 
 
 I have not shown all of what East Rushton Old Vicarage has to offer.  There are many more areas to explore including some fantastic large-flowered Hydrangeas along with more conventional plantings.  I would urge anyone in the area to visit, but before you do check out the website.  Opening times and details of the gardens including a plan can be found here: http://www.e-ruston-oldvicaragegardens.co.uk/pages/view/587/opening-times.htm
 
 
Next up the next stage of my Norfolk exotic adventure.

14 comments:

  1. Great blog entry, now inspired to visit - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do. It's a great place, shame it's only open for the afternoons. I could have stayed all day.

      Delete
  2. There's only one "i" in Nolina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice garden! You were lucky with the weather! There are a few places in Norfolk I'd like to have a wander around, and this is definately one of them. It's a long way from Devon though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was about 5 hours drive from Yorkshire (no proper roads in Norfolk :)) Theres plenty to do for gardeners in Norfolk and well worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris - its a wonderful garden - so much to see. Surprised you didn't feature the exotic garden or didn't they plant it last year? The desert wash is great but very 'prettified' compared to the real thing. The local wash here has naturalised Ricinus - surprised the boys haven't added this at the the Old Vicarage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian,The truth is I think I may have missed some of the garden areas as there was so much to see and not enough time to see everything. (My girls running off playing hide-and-seek also ate up quiet a lot of time) The Desert Wash garden was the highlight for me and yes "prettified" but so are all the garden areas at East Rushton; hardly a weed could be found!

      Delete
  6. That's a really huge garden! It seems like a garden you'd only see in fairytales. There are so many plants and wonderful flowers! I love being surrounded by plants too so this is like some green paradise for me as well. I wish I could go to gardens like these.

    Katy Eagles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot Katy nice posting.The garden is very beautiful.You are really fantastic garden.adventure sport nq.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Closely interacting with exotic plants is a great privilege and I can see that you enjoyed it a lot. I wonder if you'll also manage to have some of those species on your lawn. Hehe! Did you visit some other gardens like this? I hope you can direct me to your posts about that. Thanks! :)

    SpringFieldLawnBarber.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is, indeed, a lovely paradise! You can see different types of plants and flowers. There were even some cactuses! You might even find it hard to decide where to look first. Hahaha. That's because there are many gorgeous things to see in this place! It's a beautifully designed landscape.

    Matt Kucik @ Meridian Landscaping, LLC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. Auto Boutique Rental

    ReplyDelete
  11. This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the perform that you have placed into this. I’m sure that you will be making a really useful place. I has been additionally pleased. Good perform! luxury car rental

    ReplyDelete